To qualify for admission to HKUST(GZ), applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
1. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree or postgraduate diploma program should have:
- Obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification.
Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have:
- Obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements #
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* Refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- Their first language is English, or
- They obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
# The University is now accepting alternative test options (e.g. Duolingo English Test) for fulfillment of English Language admission requirements under the COVID-19 situation. For details, please visit here.
3. Program-Specific Admission Requirements
Some programs may stipulate additional requirements for admissions. For more information on the program-specific admission requirements, please click here.