HKUST offers both research and taught postgraduate programs in a wide range of disciplines, leading to doctoral and master's degrees, and graduate diplomas.
Research Postgraduate Programs (RPgs)
RPgs involve the completion of coursework and independent research, and successful defense of thesis. The normative periods of study are as follows:
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Full-time: 4 years in general
- Full-time: 3 years if a relevant research master’s degree was earned prior to entering the PhD program
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Full-time: 2 years
We also offer a list of innovative cross-disciplinary research postgraduate programs under the admission to HKUST(GZ) Campus.
- To encourage collaboration between two campuses, students have opportunities for cross campus study and access to research facilities on another campus.
- With the University's enlarged scope and additional resources, students can enjoy more flexibility and better support as they pursue their passion.
Taught Postgraduate Programs (TPgs)
TPgs require students to fulfill the coursework requirements and projects if any. The normative periods of study are as follows:
Master of Science (MSc), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Public Management (MPM) or Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Full-time: 1 to 2 years as specified by individual programs
- Part-time: 1.5 to 3 years as specified by individual programs
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- Part-time: 4 years
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Full-time: 1 to 1.5 years
- Part-time: 2 years
Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Part-time: 16 months
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Full-time: 1 year
- Part-time: 1 to 1.5 years
Click to explore the areas of study at HKUST: fytgs.hkust.edu.hk/programs