HKUST offers both research and taught postgraduate programs in a wide range of disciplines, leading to doctoral and master's degrees, and graduate diplomas.
Research Postgraduate Programs (RPgs)
RPgs involve the completion of coursework and independent research, and successful defense of thesis. The normative periods of study are as follows:
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Full-time: 4 years in general
- Full-time: 3 years if a relevant research master’s degree was earned prior to entering the PhD program
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Full-time: 2 years
We also offer a list of innovative cross-disciplinary research postgraduate programs under the admission to HKUST(GZ) Campus.
Hong Kong - Guangzhou Dual-Degree PhD Opportunities
- Taking advantage of complementary expertise and state-of-the-art equipment on both Hong Kong and Guangzhou campuses, students can pursue dual-degree PhD opportunities and engage in in-depth research from multiple angles on each campus to tackle real-world problems in the 21st century.
- Students will be assigned at least one co-supervisor from each campus.
- Only one thesis (with two separate oral defenses) is required for completing the dual-degree.
Taught Postgraduate Programs (TPgs)
TPgs require students to fulfill the coursework requirements and projects if any. The normative periods of study are as follows:
Master of Science (MSc), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Public Management (MPM) or Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Full-time: 1 to 2 years as specified by individual programs
- Part-time: 1.5 to 3 years as specified by individual programs
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- Part-time: 4 years
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Full-time: 1 to 1.5 years
- Part-time: 2 years
Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Part-time: 16 months
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Full-time: 1 year
- Part-time: 1 to 1.5 years
Click to explore the areas of study at HKUST: fytgs.hkust.edu.hk/programs