Text Area

If you are currently studying outside Hong Kong and wish to take courses on a short-term basis (normally one term, maximum two terms) at HKUST, you may consider applying for enrolment as a Visiting PG Student.



To be eligible for Visiting PG Study at HKUST, you should:

  • currently be a registered postgraduate student at a recognized tertiary institution outside Hong Kong;
  • have an educational background deemed satisfactory by the major department as a Visiting PG Student; and
  • have gained agreement in advance from your home institution.


Application Procedures

Step 1

Step 2

  • Apply online before the deadline

Step 3

Step 4

  • Apply for student visa/ entry permit (Not sure if you need one? Check here)

Step 5

  • Subscribe to the HKUST Compulsory Travel Insurance Plan

Step 6

  • Register as a Visiting PG Student


Application Deadlines

  • Fall Term: 31 May each year
  • Spring or Summer Term: 31 October each year



  • Application fee: HK$300
  • Tuition fee: HK$4,000 per credit (except for the MBA program which charges tuition fee on a per term basis)


Financial Assistance

Visiting PG Students are not entitled to any financial assistance from the University or the HKSAR Government. It is therefore important to ensure that you have adequate funds to support yourself while you are in Hong Kong.


Student Visa/ Entry Permit

It takes times for the Hong Kong Immigration Department to process a student visa/ entry permit application. Please apply right after you have accepted the admission offer. For short term studies, student visas/ entry permits are normally granted for durations not exceeding 180 days.

More details on student visa application available here.


Insurance Requirements

All non-local Visiting PG Students should have to subscribe to the HKUST Compulsory Travel Insurance Plan. Please do so at least one month before the commencement of the visiting period.

Please also visit the website of Scholarships & Financial Aid Office for more information on the various insurance plans for HKUST students.



Given the limited supply of university housing, you are advised to arrange off-campus accommodation. The Off-Campus Housing Section of Student Housing & Residential Life Office provides general assistance for students who are looking for off-campus accommodation.