Congratulations and Welcome to the HKUST! The HKUST Fok Ying Tung Graduate School is ready to help and support you throughout your postgraduate career. The essential information below and the video guide will be helpful for you to familiarize yourself as a new taught postgraduate student here.
Arrange for Insurance
- For Non-Local Students
1. Compulsory Medical Insurance
As a full-time degree-seeking non-local postgraduate student, you are required to join the Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme for Non-Local Students. The medical insurance fee will be paid at the same time as the tuition fee.
2. Travel Insurance (optional)
You are suggested to purchase travel insurance to cover any accidents during your trip to Hong Kong and before the program registration with HKUST.
- For Local Students
1. Medical Insurance (optional)
You can opt for extra protection and resources to cover medical services other than that provided by the campus clinic by joining the University’s Optional Hospital & Surgical Benefits Plan.
Arrange for Accommodation
Priority for university housing is given to regular research postgraduate students. As such, please be prepared that you may have to arrange your own accommodation off-campus. The Off-Campus Housing Section of Student Housing & Residential Life Office provides general assistance for students who are looking for off-campus accommodation. Learn More
In seeking a flat, you are strongly recommended to appoint a licensed estate agent regulated by the Estate Agents Authority. Learn More
University-level Activities at a Glance
Welcome Reception for New Taught Postgraduate Students
- 10:30am - 12:00nn, 26 August 2023 (Saturday)
- More details will be available in early August
MoE-organized Briefing Sessions for Mainland Students (“2023学在港澳”说明会)
To obtain information for better adapting to the new study environment, students from the Mainland of China may join the briefing sessions (“2023学在港澳”说明会) organized by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China held at various cities/online.
Date: 10 -15 August 2023
Delivery Mode: Mixed-mode
Email notification will be sent to you by the Academic Registry from early August. Do follow the instructions to complete the program registration.
Please note that you will only receive the notification when all the required official documents for offer confirmation are verified. For non-local students, student visa/ entry permit or appropriate visa for study must be obtained. Please allow sufficient time for processing your visa application. Check out your status at the Online Admission System.
Activate ITSC Network Account
Activate your ITSC network account to receive important emails from the University:
- Check out the Invitation email for Program Registration and click the link to “Activate your ITSC Network Account”
- Check your Student ID number on the Online Admission System.
- Use your Student ID number and HKID card number/ date of birth to activate.
- Add "@ust.hk" as approved sender in your email to ensure you can receive the emails from the university.
Request for Deferral of Admission
Talk with your supervisor/Department/Program Office and seek the approval from them if you wish to apply for the deferral of admission. Usually the deferred admission are valid for not more than two consecutive regular terms or one year.
Emergencies during Travel
- In case you encounter any difficulties/ emergency matters during your travel, you are advised to seek help from International SOS (ISOS) at +852 2528 9900 (collect calls will be accepted) or +1 215 942 8226. ISOS is a medical and security services company that offers 24/7 assistance worldwide.
- Please quote HKUST Membership number “07AYCA093635” when seeking assistance from ISOS.
- You are strongly advised to download the ISOS Assistance App before your departure to Hong Kong. Learn More
Course Registration and Class Enrollment
- Acquaint yourself with the general rules for postgraduate course registration and departmental course requirements for the program.
- View the program requirements and course details at Postgraduate Program & Course Catalog.
- Class enrollment is processed with the web-based Student Information System (SIS). Learn More