Open a Bank Account
Text Area
  • Useful to have a bank account in Hong Kong to handle financial matters.
  • Submit application in person at one of these banks on campus: Hang Seng Bank and Bank of China.
  • Bring the following items for opening a bank account:
    • Passport/Travel document and the landing slip
    • HKUST Student Identity Card
    • Proof of Hong Kong Residential Address (such as confirmation letter issued by the Student Housing and Residential Life Office or rental agreement with original stamp duty)
    • Proof of Permanent Home Address in your home country
  • Students coming from certain countries may face a longer processing time due to monetary policy.
Apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKIC) (if you stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days)
Text Area
  • Be sure to make an prior appointment via the following channels before you go to the Registration of Persons Offices of the Hong Kong Immigration Department:
  • Appointment quota are limited. Check out the available booking status at the booking system as soon as possible.
  • Walk-in appointments will not be catered.
  • Apply for the HKIC within 30 days of arrival.
  • The service is free of charge.
  • Click here for the required supporting documents and more details.
Register with Your Consulate
Text Area
  • Contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong for any possible citizen registration services and stay in touch with them.
  • Click here to check the contact information of your consulate or embassy.
Apply for Student Octopus Card
Text Area
  • Degree-seeking Full-time students who are under the age of 26 are eligible for the MTR Student Travel Scheme.
  • A Student Octopus Card would allow you to enjoy concession fares of up to 50% off normal fares.
  • Learn More