Open a Bank Account
- Useful to have a bank account in Hong Kong to handle financial matters.
- Submit application in person at one of these banks on campus: Hang Seng Bank, Bank of China and Bank of East Asia.
- Bring the following items for opening a bank account:
- Passport/Travel document and the landing slip
- HKUST Student Identity Card
- Proof of Hong Kong Residential Address (such as confirmation letter issued by the HKUST Housing Office or rental agreement with original stamp duty)
- Proof of Permanent Home Address in your home country
- Students coming from certain countries may face a longer processing time due to monetary policy.
- For more details, please click here.
Apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (if you stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days)
- Apply in person at the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department, within 30 days upon arrival.
- The service is free of charge.
- Bring your passport, identity documents, and the HKUST admission letter to support your application.
- Utilize the appointment booking and form pre-filling service via:
- the Hong Kong Immigration Department website; or
- the Hong Kong Immigration Department mobile application; or
- the 24-hour telephone appointment booking hotline at (852) 2598 0888.
- Click here to visit the Hong Kong Immigration Department for details.
Register with Your Consulate
- Contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong for any possible citizen registration services and stay in touch with them.
- Click here to check the contact information of your consulate or embassy.